- Twice daily tooth brushing and flossing or an equivalent aid for between the teeth.
Flossing is very important as about half of all decay affects the area between the teeth where toothbrush and oral rinse do not reach. The equivalent of not cleaning between teeth is washing the palm and back of your hands but not between your fingers.
- Rinse with antibacterial rinse: Listerine for 1 minute daily or 0.12%chlorhexidine for 1 minute at bedtime for 2 weeks repeating the cycle 2 months later.
- Use FDA approved fluoride tooth paste.
- Be careful about your diet. Foods that are especially harmful contain sugars like sucrose, glucose and fructose, cooked starch, and other carbohydrates. Avoid snaking between meals as that increases the number of times your oral pH drops and exposes your teeth to harmful acidic environment.
- Chew sugar-free gum with xylitol.
It is important that all family members take equally good care for their teeth as tooth decay is a communicable disease.